University Style Guide
Capitalize full formal names of committees, commissions, task forces and advisory boards. Lowercase shortened, informal or descriptive names of committees. Strive for consistency within stories.
- Campus Safety Advisory Board
- The department's finance committee
Lowercase the definite article when it precedes the name of an organization except when the name is part of an address.
- He plans to attend the University of Kansas.
- For more information, write to The University of Kansas, Office of University Relations, 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045.
Lowercase the definite article in the names of newspapers.
He works for the New York Times.
Capitalize all words except "of" in titles of named and distinguished professors.
- Ronald T. Borchardt, the Summerfield Distinguished Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Valentino Stella, a University Distinguished Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
On second reference or if the entire proper name of the professorship is not used, do not capitalize.
She was named a distinguished professor in 1994. He also holds a distinguished professorship in medicinal chemistry.
divisions and affiliates of the university
Capitalize the formal names of schools, academic departments and divisions of the university. Lowercase names that are flopped or shortened.
- School of Business, business school
- Department of Chemistry, chemistry department
- Office of the Chancellor, chancellor's office
- University Registrar, registrar's office
Always capitalize units that don't normally use "Office of" or "Department of" in their formal titles.
- Student Success
- Continuing Education
- University Relations
- Facilities Operations
Capitalize "College" on second reference to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to avoid confusion with the general term meaning college level or college related.
In plural constructions, lowercase department, school, program, office and other descriptive titles.
I have friends in the schools of engineering and music.
Capitalize titles appearing before a name and lowercase those appearing after a name.
- Joan Jones, director of the Center of Latin American Studies
- Chancellor Robert Hemenway
- William Tuttle, professor of history
- Professor William Tuttle of the Department of History
Center for Technology Commercialization
Lowercase chapter in names of local branches of national organizations. Also, chapter is the preferred term over house for sororities and fraternities.
The KU chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society.
Churchill scholars, Churchill scholarships
The Winston Churchill Foundation awards Churchill scholarships.
Uppercase when referring to KU's annual ceremony. Describe graduates using the semester (not the month) in which they graduated.
Bob Smith is a fall 2005 graduate (not a December 2005 graduate).
Members of the Class of 2006 include those who graduated in summer 2005, fall 2005 and spring 2006. KU has its formal Commencement each May, though several schools host graduate recognition ceremonies in December.
Computing Center, Price
Capitalize but don't quote. Put the course abbreviation (all caps) and course number in parentheses.
Children and Television (HDFL 325).
Quote names of works appearing in titles.
Vergil's "Aeneid" (LAT 124).
In giving the names of students' parents, use Mr. and Mrs. if one or both parents' names are not known.
- daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Jones
- daughter of Mr. Jones
If first names of one or both parents are known, omit courtesy titles.
- daughter of Sam and Dorothy Jones
- daughter of Dorothy Jones